Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was in the mood to try out something different in cakes(and I love baking cakes). I used the Duncan Hines Super Moist German Chocolate cake mix to make this cake. Recently, I picked up a bottle of raspberry essence and today I used it in this cake. I also used fresh orange juice and would highly recommend all those who make this cake to use it and not store bought OJ. This cake takes a while to bake but is well worth the end result. It came out magnificent! I baked this for Sanjay uncle as a small food gift from our family to his on his birthday. Happy Birthday Sanjay uncle(9th May'2006)!!!
- Beat eggs one at a time in the mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add water and beat again. You will see the mixture rise and air bubbles floating on top. This is essential and excellent. When you see this, it means that air has worked its magic by being incorporated into the mixture and thereby it has risen on beating.
- Add a little of the German chocolate cake mix at a time and mix well. You can start with the lowest mixing power level of your hand mixer and gradually go from 1 to 2 to 3(maximum power).
- Fold in the Nesquik chocolate powder and cocoa powder. Mix as above.
- Add the remaining German chocolate cake mix and mix as above.
- Now add the orange juice and mix as above.
- Next, add the raspberry and almond essences alongwith the olive oil and mix as above.
- Make sure you have mixed thoroughly and you must remember to scrape the mixture remaining on the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Now your mixture is ready to bake.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean(about 50-55 minutes).
- If you end up having extra cake batter, you can prepare muffins.
- I had extra batter and prepared 4 muffins.
- Bake the muffins at 180C for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven until a knife inserted in the middle of each muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tray for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Likewise, allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes and then invert on to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Slice and serve or store wrapped in aluminium foil in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- You may use an icing of your choice, I think whipped cream mixed with some chocolate frosting and sugar would be wonderful.