Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Winter is coming. And tea season. This makes a very nice give away filled in bottles and the preparation makes your home smell absolutely wonderful. The recipe is open to variation of spices/teas and is truly easy. The amount of syrup will be about 250ml and will keep months stored in the fridge. Mix into hot milk (1mug will need about 1 tsp syrup) or add to coffee, cakes, ice cream, ...
- 500 ml water
- black tea (20 teabags)
- 400 g brown sugar
- 2 cm ginger (fresh, in cubes)
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 4 -5 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean (scrapes and pod)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pod (optional)
- 1 tablespoon star anise (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and add teabags. Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out teabags thouroughly.
- Roast dry spices (apart from ginger and vanilla bean) in a pot until fragrant (do not burn!)
- Add roasted spices, cubed ginger, vanilla seed, pod and the sugar to the tea and bring to a boil.
- Let cook/simmer until syrupy (about 20 minutes).
- Pour into small bottles/jars through a sieve.
- This will keep months stored in the fridge.