Recipe by Member #610488
This white onion relish is from the Yucatan region of Mexico and is often served with poultry or fish dishes.
- 2 fresh red fresno chiles
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (mexican oregano is the best)
- 2 white onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy frying pan, dry-fry the chilies until the skins are scorched. Place the roasted chilies in a strong plastic bag and tie the top to keep the steam inches Set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, puree the allspice, peppercorns and oregano until it is coarsely ground.
- Cut the onions in half and slice them very thinly. Put them into a large bowl.
- Dry roast the uncut garlic cloves in a heavy frying pan until golden then mince them and add to the onions.
- Remove the chilies from the bag and peel the skins off. Deseed and rough chop them.
- Add the ground spices then the chilies to the bowl and stir in the vinegars.
- Add salt to taste and mix thoroughly. Cover and chill for 1 day before use.