Recipe by ribbit!
This recipe originally came from one of Martha Stewart's cookbooks. She used heart shaped molds, but as I don't have any, I have always just rolled the dough out and used biscuit cutters. Also, I use more than 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper because I like things really spicy!
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
- 8 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until very smooth.
- Sift the flour into the butter mixture and using a pastry mixer (or two forks), work the ingredients into a crumbly but very fine mixture.
- Add the cayenne pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to prefered thickness (I usually make mine kind of thin- about 1/8 inch).
- Cut into desired shapes and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown.
- The time will depend on the size and thickness of your shortbreads.
- I usually bake mine for about 8 minutes, but if you are unsure, check after 5 minutes to make sure that you don't overbake them.
- Cool on racks and enjoy!