Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking. This is also good when made with other kinds of fish. Don't try to fry them; they'll burn.
- 6 catfish fillets
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, preferably freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wipe fish dry.
- Combine cheese, flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a shallow dish.
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish.
- Dip fish in egg mixture, then in flour mixture, turning to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Pour the butter over the fish.
- Top with the almonds, if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until fish is cooked through.
Excellent recipe! I used tilapia and instead of putting almonds on top, I ground them and mixed into the cheese-flour mixture. Baking time was perfect and fish stayed very moist. Served with sweet potato "tater tots" for a healthier fish n' chips! Thanks for a keeper.