- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 large russet potatoes (baking)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a large pot of water on to boil and add 2 t. of the salt. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 8 T. of butter in a medium skillet. When the butter is melted, add the garlic. Cook over low heat just until the garlic starts to color. Do not burn the butter. Take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, drain them and return them to the pot - the residual heat will help the excess water evaporate. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a ricer. Gradually add the milk and cream while mashing until the potatoes are the desired consistency. Stir in the garlic mixture, add the remaining 1 t. salt, and serve warm with the remaining 4 T. butter and the ground black pepper on the table.