Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found in the Junior League of Fort Worth - Cowtown Christmas Magazine 2009
Make and share this Cast Iron Cinnamon Apple Crisp recipe from Food.com.
- For filling:.
- Peel the apples, slice and dust with both sugars (1/2 cup brown sugar & 1/2 cup white sugar), lime juice and cinnamon and allow to site in large mixing bowl for 10 minutes to marinate.
- For topping:.
- In a Cuisinart-type food processor, blend together 1 cup brown sugar, flour and pecans.
- When the mixture gets almost smooth, add in chucks of the butter and pulse until the mixture becomes the consistency of wet sand.
- Do not over mix or the topping will become gluey.
- In a cast iron skillet (any size will work!).
- Preheat the pan to 300 degrees in a convention oven. Grease the pan with just a touch of butter or non-stick cooking spray. Then add in a heavy helping of the apple mixture.
- Top with a thick layer of the crumbled topping and bake at 300 degrees for approximately 60 minutes.
- Keep checking to be sure that the top does not over brown.
- If the top gets too brown, lower the temperature to 275 and keep an eye on the oven.
- When the topping is golden brown and the apples are lightly bubbling, the dessert is ready.
- Serve in the pan family style, or scoop out and top with cinnamon ice cream.
Made the cast iron apple crisp for dessert and it was wonderful, I did add a bit more of the cinnamon because we like it... would make it again!! :o)