Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 hrs
From genius chef Miyoko Schinner, author of Artisan Vegan Cheese comes this basic recipe for cream cheese. Ideal for use in cheese cakes or as a sub for anything calling for cream cheese or mascarpone. To make a block cheese, after culturing, line a sieve with cheese cloth and put a weight on top. Allow to drain for 24 hours.
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 8 hours and drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt
- 1 pinch salt
- Put everything in a high-speed blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a glass bowl, cover and allow to sit out at room temperature for 24-48 hours. (48 hours if using for a cheesecake.).
- Cover and refrigerate. Will keep for two weeks in the fridge or 4 months in the freezer.
One word would be enough for this: AMAZING! Seriously, it is!<br/>I ate this with fresh strawberries straight from the jar and could not stop myself, it was that good! Very thick (even though I only let it sit for 12 hours) and super creamy with a mellow cashew honey-like taste. I added in real vanilla bean and that made it sinful. ;)<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, WICC!<br/>Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap # 59 June 2013.