These are very hearty and satisfying little fried cheese squares, and if you can't locate Cascaval cheese, you may substitute Provolone. They make a perfect little Halloween party (or anytime) snack, with a crumb crust seasoned with plenty of garlic, to keep vampires at bay, of course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the cheese into 1-1/2 inch squares that are 1/2 inch thick.
- 2Dip first into the beaten egg mixture, then into the seasoned bread crumbs (I find that a"double dipping" of each works the best; after the first dip in the bread crumbs, repeat the process again).
- 3Heat oil in a deep skillet until it"shimmers".
- 4Fry cheese until golden brown on both sides and a little soft (this does not take very long, and do not completely melt cheese).
- 5When you turn over the cheese the first time, the crust may fall apart from the cheese; just pat it back on, it will melt back together.
- 6To serve, immediately put each cheese square on a lettuce leaf.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cascaval Pane ( Transylvanian Fried Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.1
- Calories from Fat 649
- Total Fat 72.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 145.0 mg
- Sodium 533.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned bread crumbs