Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a lovely, refreshing salad that has a little "kick" to it! AND the contrast of colors between the carrots and cucumbers is really amazing. This salad comes from the Whole Foods Market website.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar or 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a salad bowl, toss together the carrots and cucumbers, and add the reduced sugar and vinegar syrup.
- Toss in the cilantro, lime juice and sesame oil.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.