Recipe by BecR
Savory and delicious veggie pancakes for breakfast, or anytime! This is my much adapted version of Paula Deen's recipe for Vegetable Pancakes. Here, I've lightly sauteed the veggies in a little butter and oil before adding them to the batter. This results in a very tender pancake, with no raw bits in it. If desired, you can skip this step. Cheese (ricotta or mozzarella) is optional. Recipe makes a lot of pancakes, but no problem as they freeze beautifully--just pop them into the microwave for a minute or two to warm them, and spread with your favorite topping--yum! Great served warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of sour cream. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (optional) or 1 cup ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- sour cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying pan or wok, melt butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Add carrots, zucchini and onions (in batches if necessary), and saute until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the parsley; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine; do not over mix. Fold in the veggies (and the cheese and breadcrumbs, if using).
- Preheat a large frying pan or griddle over medium to medium high heat. Carefully add a tablespoon of oil to the pan, swirling to coat.
- Use a ladle to pour the batter into the pan, making a few pancakes at a time.
- Cook about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Add remaining oil to the pan as needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of sour cream.