Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I based this on one of the Mimi's Carrot-Raisin Bread recipes I found. However, I have made several substitutions that greatly reduced the calories, lowered the fat and increased the fiber, and put it in muffin pans. While this no longer tastes much like Mimi's, it is yummy and doesn't taste like "health food". Replacing oil with mashed banana gives this a hint of banana bread flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups king arthur's white whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large banana (mashed)
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sliced frozen carrots
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Place banana, Splenda, egg substitute, Brown Sugar Splenda, vanilla, frozen carrots and pineapple in blender.
- Mix on highest setting until well-blended.
- Add raisins and walnuts to blender and mix well by hand.
- Pour blender mixture into flour mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans (18 muffins total); or pour into greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes (40 minutes for bundt), or until done.
- Please note that the Splenda ingredients are not included in the nutrition information. These ingredients add 12 calories per serving.
Whipped this up in no time at all & had ABSOLUTELY GREAT MUFFINS available for both breakfast & lunch! We had some with a homemade orange butter spread & some with a pecan honey butter that I got in the recent Honey Swap ~ Very tasty with either spread! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef]
Excellent...you can use all substitutes and have a near perfect diabetic safe cake.
I have made it twice using zero dairy and zero oils etc and it is terrific.