Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Vanilla adds another dimension to this simple carrot recipe
- 2 1⁄2 cups cleaned carrots, cut in 1/2 inch slices, cooked
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Mash the carrots until smooth.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute Stir in the apple juice, salt, pepper, vanilla& nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat, stir in the mashed carrots and turn the mixture into the prepared dish Mix the crumbs and parsley, sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake until bubbling approx 15 minutes.
Delicious, different way to eat your carrots. Followed recipe as written. Only problem I had was with mashing the carrots. Used my hand potato masher and it seemed to take forever to get out all the lumps. Next time I think I'll try my food processor. DH and DD enjoyed this very much.
This was unbelievably delicious! I made it exactly as written with the exception of the bread crumbs (I'm not overly fond of breadcrumb toppings). The vanilla does, indeed make a difference. Thanks, Bergy for another winner!