Recipe by Elise and family
This is surprisingly filling, and very quick and easy to prepare. I enjoy it when I don't have much time, and need to make something for just one person to eat. It's very healthy too!
Top Review by SheDino
Made this recipe for four while entertaining a vegan. Made it with 2 cups of couscous, 1 cup of walnuts, 1.5 cup of raisins instead of dates, 2 cups of carrots and used apple juice to make the couscous. Big hit even with the non-vegans
- 3 -4 large carrots, julienne
- 2 dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots in pot of boiling water (cooking in the water preserves more nutrients than steaming) until just firm (about 5 minutes).
- Prepare couscous by adding equal amount of boiling water to couscous in a bowl, and covering for 5-8 minutes.
- Once cooked, fluff couscous and add olive oil.
- Drain carrot water and butter carrots while still in the pot. Mix to cover carrots thoroughly with butter. (Fat helps to digest the nutrients in the carrots.).
- Pile carrots, dates and wanuts on top of couscous.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.