Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious, cheesy, yummy goodness. You can eat it right away, or bake it to get a crispy top, your choice. Cooking the onions with the pasta distributes the flavor. Give it a try. I did this as a pantry challenge, I had the stuff and threw it together!
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 lb American cheese, shredded or sliced
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups ham, cooked & diced
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding the diced onion when you put the dry pasta into the boiling water. Drain and rinse.
- While pasta is draining, melt Margarine in the pot and then add the flour, garlic powder & salt. Stir constantly until thick and turning a dark butter color.
- Add the milk and stir until it starts to thicken, then slowly, a bit at a time, add the cheese, stirring constantly. When everything is melted together and smooth, add the macaroni and ham in and mix well.
- Serve OR Bake in an oven proof dish for 20 minutes at 375 for a crispy top.
A very good and easy recipe. I cut the recipe in half and like Bergy I added some jalapeno and red pepper flakes but also I added a few frozen peas at the end for color and baked it for about 15-20 minutes. Made for Think Pink Oct'09 Breast Awareness Month.
This was a delicious Mac and Cheese. The addition of the ham made for a yummy taste. It was a nice creamy sauce with a great flavor. I cut the recipe in half being only 2 for lunch. I got everything ready before I left for work and just popped it in the oven at work for about 30 minutes and was fantastic. The only complaint I had was it was too hot. Thanks for your recipe. Made for Think Pink Oct'09 Breast Awareness Month
I cut the recipe in half them made it up to the point of adding the macaroni, separated half into an individual oven proof bowl - my friend does not eat meat very often, then added the ham to the remainder and now we have two happy diners from one recipe. I did add a Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped and 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes to the sauce just before adding the macaroni. Great comfort food on a Winters night Thanks CookbookCarrie for posting this tasty recipe