Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my family's favorite fruitcake. Even people who don't care for fruitcake seem to like this one. The chill time is included in the cook time. ***NOTE*** Vegetarians should use vegetarian marshmallows.
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 16 ounces graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup candied cherry, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup candied pineapple, chopped
- 8 large marshmallows or 8 large vegetarian marshmallows
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Combined graham cracker crumbs, coconut, cherries, pecans and pineapple in large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Mix marshmallows& milk in top of a double boiler.
- Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted.
- Pour over dry mixture and stir till well blended.
- Line loaf pan with foil.
- Press fruit cake mixture into pan forming a loaf.
- Chill for at least 3-4 hours.
- Slice and enjoy.
This is the fruitcake recipe I have been searching for. I don't like the ice box fruitcakes that have those hard citrus pieces in it. This one is loaded with nuts and good tasting fruit like candied pineapple and cherries. I also added some dried papaya that was in some trail mix I had. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it turned out too dry and crumbly, so I decided to melt a few more marshmallows in some regular milk. This did the trick and it was perfect. I will definitely use this recipe again, with my modifications.