Recipe by Dawnygirl
This recipe has been past down from my grandmother who had a degree in Home Economics to my mother and now me. The yams are so moist and yummy with the perfect combo of sweet and buttery with a hint of rum and lemon, Yum!
Top Review by Renate G.
These recipe is fantastic! I have made them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for the last 3 years and everyone loves them. I have had to make extra batches to feed everyone because it is the first thing to be eaten. I am always asked if I am making the yams. The recipe is extremely easy to make and I also use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum for the extra flavor. Easy and most full proof recipe I have made. Your family will never want any other kind of yams again. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe.
- 2 -3 lbs yams
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut yams into large cubes and steam until fork inserts easily.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and gently heat until butter and brown sugar are melted.
- Place yams into a casserole dish and cover with sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Note: You can make this a day ahead which I find is actually better than when cooked the same day that they are served as the yams become somewhat carmelized.
- If you would like to make the dish a day ahead bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, let cool and refrigerate. The next day remove from the fridge early in the day to allow them to come to room temperature, then bake for 30 minutes before you want to serve them.