This dish is best prepared a day in advance to allow the ingredients to soak in the marinade overnight.
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, water-packed
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium red pepper
- 10 ounces mushrooms
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can baby corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (medium)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard powder, ground
- 1⁄4 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 barbecue skewers
- Drain the tofu, carefully squeezing out excess water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut tofu into one-inch squares.
- Set aside. Cut eggplant lengthwise in half, then cut each half into approximately three strips.
- Cut strips crosswise into one-inch cubes.
- Slice zucchini into half-inch thick slices.
- Cut red pepper in half, removing stem and seeds, and cut each half into one-inch squares.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a moist paper towel and remove stems.
- Thread tofu and vegetables on to barbecue skewers in alternating color combinations: For example, first a piece of eggplant, then a slice of tofu, then zucchini, then red pepper, baby corn and mushrooms.
- Continue in this way until all skewers are full.
- Make the marinade by putting all ingredients in a blender, and blend on high speed for about one minute until mixed.
- Alternatively, put all ingredients in a glass jar, cover tightly with the lid and shake well until mixed.
- Lay the kebabs in a long, shallow baking pan or on a non-metal tray, making sure they lie flat. Evenly pour the marinade over the kebabs, turning them once so that the tofu and vegetables are coated.
- Refrigerate the kebabs for three to eight hours, occasionally spooning the marinade over them.
- Broil or grill the kebabs at 450 F for 15-20 minutes, or on the grill, until the vegetables are browned.
- Suggestions This meal can be served over cooked, brown rice. Amounts can easily be doubled to make four servings.