Recipe by MarraMamba
1 gram of fat!! and it's amazing. You can also make truffles with the same base recipe. (Carey Neff's Chocolate Truffles) Neff is executive chef at La Costa Resort and Spa. Nutrition info: Calories 70; Protein 2g; Total Fat 1g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Carbohydrates 16g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 90mg
Top Review by stormylee
Oh my, this really is delicious! I used 2/3 cup cake flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup soft demerara sugar, and 1 whole egg plus one egg white. Overbaked slightly by accident, but the middle bits give me an idea of what the texture would be like had I been paying attention!! Excellent recipe, thank you for sharing!
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or pureed prunes)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray a 9-inch square cake pan and dust with additional cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In another bowl combine the prunes, egg whites, vanilla and coffee. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.