La Madeleine's Country Potato Soup (Copycat)
This recipe is from Executive Chef Remy Schaal of la Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe. Founded in Dallas in 1983, la Madeleine has many neighborhood cafes and bakeries in five states and Washington, D.C. Excellent potato soup!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄8 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 large peeled potatoes, sliced evenly in 1/4 inch slices
- salt, to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and diced
- In a large saucepan, add butter, leeks and onions, and cook.
- (Do not brown vegetables.) Add chicken stock, potatoes, salt and fresh thyme.
- Cook for 40 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add cream, bring to a boil and serve hot.
- Garnish with Cheddar cheese and diced bacon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
It's not exactly what you get at La Madeleine but it's pretty close! I made a few changes. First instead of a half cup of heavy cream I threw in the full 8 ounces. The smallest container of heavy cream you can buy is 8 ounces and I didn't want to the other half to go to waste. Secondly, I took a hand mixer and blended this mixture after removing the sprigs of thyme. I found it too be too chunky without this step. I also used garlic salt instead of regular salt! This recipe is a keeper for me!Reply
see 13 more