Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Flavours of the World by Paul Gayler. He recommends serving this with a spicy roast leg of lamb, or a roast chicken.
- 750 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 3 1⁄2 ounces double cream
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, grated
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- blanch spinach in boiling salted water for 30 seconds, drain in a colander and refresh under cold running water.
- squeeze out water until spinach is quite dry.
- place in a blender and blitz to a coarse puree.
- heat butter in a saucepan, add shallots and cook for 1 min, until softened.
- Add cardamon and chili and mix well.
- stir in the spinach and cream and heat gently until they are lightly bound together.
- add the lemon zest, season with salt and black pepper and serve sprinkled with the toasted almonds.
This was soooo good!!! The flavors are wonderful. Thank you for posting!