Recipe by jo_mama
I love all of the ingredients in this recipe on their own--and even more when they all come together to make this healthy, delicious, simple dessert.
- 20 gingersnap cookies
- 3⁄4 cup pistachios (unsalted, unroasted)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (or half and half, whichever has fewer additives)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 3⁄4 cups Greek yogurt (2% milkfat recommended. if you can't find it, you can approximate using fat free greek yogurt and th)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces fig preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a food processor, combine cookies, nuts, sugar, and salt. Process until fine crumbs form. With machine running, slowly add butter until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press crumbs in bottom and up side of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake until crust is golden brown and fragrant, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely in pie plate on a wire rack.
- Place 3 tbsp cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let stand for five minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream (or half and half--whichever you are using), honey, cardamom, and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Don't boil. Remove from heat.
- Off heat, whisk in gelatin mixture until completely dissolved.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Add cream mixture to bowl and whisk gently to combine. Pour filling into cooled crust and refrigerate until chilled and completely set, about 2 hours.
- Top with fig preserves to serve.
- Adaptations: I have also made this pie with walnut or almonds in place of the pistachios. Play with flavors--change the spices or use a different fruit topping.