Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
Butter pastry filled with caramel and a touch of coconut...a must try! Found this recipe online; yield was not provided, so I'm just guessing.
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 0.5 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
- Add the water, 1 tablespoons at a time; toss with a fork until dough holds together. Divide dough in half; cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels and milk together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly; stir in coconut.
- Remove pan from heat; cool.
- Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, roll out on a lightly floured surfact to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 3" round smooth or scalloped cookie cutter. Gently reroll trimmings and cut to make more cookies.
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg and water in a cup; set aside.
- Place 1/2 teaspoons caramel mixture in the center of each cookie; moisten edges of dough with the egg mixture.
- Fold dough in half; firmly press edges together to seal.
- Place cookies on the prepared sheets; brush with egg wash. Cut 3 slashes across the top of each cookie with the tip of a knife.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature.