1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A fantastic, make ahead, "ice cream like" dessert! Very rich, but not too sweet. A good recipe for those times when you want an impressive dessert. This recipe comes from "La Dolce Vita" by Michele Scicolone Prep time does not include 8 hour minium freezing time. Cook time is for the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1 teaspoon water
- cocoa powder
- 1Semifreddo: Line a 9x5x3 inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the ends.
- 2Chill the pan in the freezer.
- 3In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the confectioner's sugar, and the cinnamon until thick and pale.
- 4In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
- 5Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, beating until the whites just hold stiff peaks.
- 6In a large bowl, beat the cream until it just holds stiff peaks.
- 7Gently but thoroughly fold in the whites, and then fold the cream mixture into the yolk mixture.
- 8Pour half the mixture into the chilled pan and freeze it for 45 minutes.
- 9Stir the espresso into the remaining mixture, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- 10Stir the espresso mixture and pour it over the frozen cinnamon layer, smoothing the top.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- 12Unmold the semifreddo onto a serving dish.
- 13Sprinkle very lightly with cocoa powder.
- 14Serve with mocha sauce, if desired.
- 15Mocha Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, espresso, and butter.
- 16Heat over low heat until the chocolate is almost melted.
- 17Remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
- 18Stir in the Cognac.
- 19Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cappuccino Semifreddo with Mocha Sauce (Semifreddo al Cappuccino
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.9
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 143.9 mg
- Sodium 49.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g