Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A fantastic, make ahead, "ice cream like" dessert! Very rich, but not too sweet. A good recipe for those times when you want an impressive dessert. This recipe comes from "La Dolce Vita" by Michele Scicolone Prep time does not include 8 hour minium freezing time. Cook time is for the sauce.
- 4 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1 teaspoon water
- cocoa powder
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon grappa
- Semifreddo: Line a 9x5x3 inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the ends.
- Chill the pan in the freezer.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the confectioner's sugar, and the cinnamon until thick and pale.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, beating until the whites just hold stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Gently but thoroughly fold in the whites, and then fold the cream mixture into the yolk mixture.
- Pour half the mixture into the chilled pan and freeze it for 45 minutes.
- Stir the espresso into the remaining mixture, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Stir the espresso mixture and pour it over the frozen cinnamon layer, smoothing the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Unmold the semifreddo onto a serving dish.
- Sprinkle very lightly with cocoa powder.
- Serve with mocha sauce, if desired.
- Mocha Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, espresso, and butter.
- Heat over low heat until the chocolate is almost melted.
- Remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
- Stir in the Cognac.
- Serve warm.