Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
A wonderful Italian dessert! Pre-formed cannoli shells can be found in Italian markets or specialty markets.
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate or 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 12 cannoli shells
- 3⁄4 pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling: Combine ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla; stir in grated chocolate. Cover; chill 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat and stir the chopped chocolate and the shortening over low heat until melted; remove from heat; transfer to small bowl.
- Dip both ends of cannoli shells in chocolate; let excess drip off.
- Sprinkle chocolate ends with chopped pistachios.
- Arrange on wire rack placed over waxed paper to dry, about 45 minutes.
- When chocolate is dry, in a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Spoon filling into a cake decorating bag fitted with a large open star tip or round tip (or spoon into a resealable plastic bag; seal bag and snip off a small corner); pipe filling into shells.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours.