Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are really good! Courtesy Mario Batali, 2003.
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sardines in oil, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini peppers
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon caciocavallo cheese
- freshly ground coarse black pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped fine garnish
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 lemon, halved to garnish
- extra virgin olive oil, deep frying
- In a medium-size bowl combine, the canned sardines, eggse, garlic, parsley, pepperonchini, bread crumbs and cheese.
- Using a wooden spoon stir lightly, so as not to mash mixture.
- Set fish mixture aside.
- Fill a deep pot no more than halfway full with olive oil.
- Heat over medium flame until the temperature reaches 350°F.
- The oil should remain at or around this temaperature throughout the frying process.
- Using a spoon, make fritters into semi-balls.
- When the oil reaches temperature, gently drop the fish balls into the hot oil.
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPLATTER THE OIL.
- Fry each fritter to a golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cooked fritters with a slotted spoon and reserve on a serving dish.
- Repeat until all of the fish mixture has been used.
- These fritters are best served hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon halves.