Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was my mother's recipe that I enjoyed all my life, and it was better than any others that I ever tasted.
- 8 large yams or 8 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and black pepper
- Peel and quarter the yams or sweet potatoes.
- Place all of the ingredients into a large pot and cook the potatoes on top of the stove over medium heat and stirring every so often until potatoes are soft.
- Also, don’t be afraid of adding more brown sugar and/or orange juice if needed. The ingredients need to cover the potatoes.
Fantastic recipe - and so very easy - thanks!
I used the yellow colored yams and brown cane suger. Served with turkey, and three persons (of 30) asked repeatedly for the recipe. Many thanks, Alan, to Mom, and Recipe Czar! Kim in Paris