1 hr 15 mins
From Good Eats, episode: Ginger: Rise of the Rhizome. I might try adding a vanilla bean to the simmering water next time. Or how about adding a little lemon peel? The candied ginger is also good dipped in dark or bittersweet chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.
- 2Peel the ginger root(use the back of a spoon, it gets into all the grooves) and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.
- 3Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20-40 minutes. Make sure you continously stir. It may feel like you've been stirring the ginger forever, but when it starts to crystallize, it will happen very quickly.
- 4Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream or to sweeten coffee.
- 5Any liquid can be used to flavor tea or used for hot tea. Some people said they had to cook it longer. It's worth every minute. :).
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candied Ginger(Alton Brown)
Serving Size: 1 (1639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.2
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 94.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 8.2 g