Recipe by dandelionleaf
Canadian flavours in a main dish.
Top Review by Paka
We really enjoyed this chicken. I had to scale it down for one chicken breast and did salt and pepper the chicken before dipping in the flour. This was, naturally, very sweet so be sure to use real bacon and not turkey bacon (my mistake)! The sage added an interesting flavor. Thanks for a tasty recipe.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 4 mushrooms
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 white onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice chicken breasts partway through for stuffing, finely chop mushrooms and onion.
- In small skillet, sautee onions in butter and brown sugar until caramelized. Set aside in bowl.
- Fry bacon in large skillet, remove and sautee mushrooms in bacon fat.
- Chop bacon and mix with onion, sage, 1 tbsp maple syrup and strained, cooked mushrooms.
- Stuff chicken, flour lightly and brown in remaining bacon grease.
- Arrange chicken in baking pan. Mix together 3 tbsps maple syrup with water and pour over chicken.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning once. Add more water/syrup if pan is drying up, to prevent burning.
- Serve with reheated, leftover stuffing spooned on top each breast and drizzle with sauce from pan and maple syrup.
- Mashed potatoes or colcannon are a good complement - spoon sauce over potatoes as well.