Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Again, I'm using Recipezaar as a holding place for recipes I want to try. Why not share? This is a main course, although, for my friends, I would serve it as an appetizer -- I will categorize it as both.
- 1 lb fresh scallops
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine (butter will give best taste)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons gin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- First, make Phyllo Baskets: Lightly brush each phyllo sheet with butter.
- Stack and cut into 4 rectangles.
- Press each rectangle gently into 4 large muffin cups, leaving empty cup between each to allow for overhang.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes or until golden; transfer to rack and let cool.
- Cut scallops in half crosswise if they are large; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and cook scallops and lime leaves (if using), stirring gently, for about 5 minutes or until scallops are firm but still slightly opaque.
- With slotted spoon, transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add gin, lime rind and juice to skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Return scallops to skillet, turning gently to coat; heat through.
- Remove lime leaves and discard.
- Spoon scallops and liquid into phyllo baskets and serve immediately.