Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple little campfire sandwich that's enjoyable, esp. on a cool evening. Watch the time so you don't burn them too much.
- 1⁄2 lb ham, chopped (or bologna, etc.)
- 1 cup grated cheese (I've used many different types)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup pickle relish
- 6 -8 olives, chopped
- butter, as required
- 6 hamburger buns
- Butter buns on both halves.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Spread mixture on buns equally.
- Wrap each bun in heavy foil and seal tight.
- Heat on hot coals for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn and heat other side for 3-4 minutes.
Husband and I took the kids camping at Mammoth Spring State Park and went canoing on the Spring River. These sandwiches were easy to make and very tasty. About three minutes on each side was just right to not cause burning. Thanks, Chuck. Had fun with this one.
I made these over our camp fire on the end of a stick in the rain. I used tin ham and they were great. The kids loved them.