Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
fresh squirrel roasted over a open campfire..great for helping cutting the cost of food during hunting or camping trips.. great way to sit around the fire talkin bout the good things in life.. we have been doin this since i was a kid.tastes great and helps warm you up on those cold days out in the field..
- 4 -6 fresh squirrels
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon creole seasoning (optional)
- If fresh squirrel is used skin and leave whole splitting the breast bone length wise to open up the rib cage.
- Brush the oil over the squirrel then sprinkle the seasionings liberally all over.
- Pull the hot coals to one side away from the main part of the fire.
- Either stake the squirrel on a cleaned tree limb over the coals or use a metal grate over the coals.
- Rotate periodiaclly and don't over cook as the meat is real lean and will dryout fast.