Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
In the LDS Church, every summer the young woman go to camp for about 5 days. In some campgrounds, there were meals prepared for us, but in the year that I was 16 we learned to make our own food in the campfire. Now when we go camping with my young family, it is such a fun treat that my kids love to make and to see the end result of cake being cooked in an orange rind! This should make about 12-15 orange rind cakes depending on the size of oranges that you have. When they are done cooking, you eat the cake out of the rind and it is so much fun! When we made it, we used a white cake mix, but I suppose you could use chocolate and see how it will be. Enjoy!
- Prepare the oranges by cutting off one end. Save the parts cut off for later. Remove the pulp from the oranges, but leave the rinds intacts!
- Make the cake batter with the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Stir well.
- Pour the cake batter in the orange rinds, about 1/2 full. Put the tops of the oranges back on the orange. Wrap the oranges in aluminum foil.
- Lay the wrapped oranges into the hot coals from a campfire. Cook for about an hour or until the cakes are cooked through.
- Enjoy Eating out of the orange rind!