Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These Calzones are deep fry in olive oil instead of baked.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 lb fresh ricotta
- 1⁄4 lb scamorza cheese, cut into 1/4 in dice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, in a single thick slice, cut into 1/8th in dice
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Make the dough first. Combine the flour, eggs, and salt, and knead well until the mixture is firm and elastic; it will be quite firm, and if you can't incorporate all the flour add a little water to the mixture.
- Then make the filling. Place the ricotta in a medium mixing bowl and add the scamorza cheese, egg yolks, mint, and prosciutto and mix well. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll the dough out into a 1/8th in thick sheet – and cut it into 4-inch squares.
- Divide the filling up among the squares, setting it in the middle of each, and fold them over the filling, crimping the edges to seal them. Place the oil in a deep fry pan and heat to 350 degrees. Fry the calzoni in hot oil until golden on both sides. Drain them well on absorbent paper, and serve.
These were excellent. I used low fat ricotta and i did bake them. They would be even be better fried but had to watch my diet :D