Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A hearty and filling soup from Galicia, the far northwest corner of Spain. Meats, beans, potatoes and broccolli rabe make this a wonderful potage for a nasty wet winter's day. From Saveur, Saveur 100 Special Issue, 2007. Attributed to Sophia Perez.
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans
- 5 russet potatoes, 3 1/2 pounds peeled and chunked
- 3 chorizo sausage, semifresh 1/2 pound whole with skin
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, large bunch trimmed cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) half roasting chickens, 1 3/4 pound bone-in and with skin
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) pork belly
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) boneless veal shoulder
- 1 (3/4 lb) smoked ham, 3/4 pound piece
- 1 pig's foot, fresh
- Soak beans in enough water to cover 2", overnight.
- Drain beans and rinse well.
- Transfer to a pot large enough to hold all th ingredients as listed, add 1 quart cold water. Bring to a boil and skim foam.
- Add 2 cups cold water, return to a boil.
- Add 2 more cups water, returning to a boil once more.
- Add all ingredients along with 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, continue to boil, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, still partially covered, stirring to break up potatoes as they soften for about 4 hours.
- Meats should be very tender and the potatoes will have thickened the soup.
- Remove all meats, discarding all but the chorizo. (The meats can be utilized in other dishes.).
- Cut chorizo up into 1" rounds.
- Remove all bones from stock and stir in chorizo.
- Rewarm if necessary. Salt to taste.