Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Family Circle magazine, ca. 1982.
Make and share this Calabacitas -- Mexican-Style Zucchini recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned is fine)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- Melt butter in large skillet; add steak cubes, a few at a time and remove to a bowl as they brown.
- Saute zucchini until slightly tender, about ten minutes.
- Return meat to skillet; add corn, chilies, garlic, salt, oregano and cumin.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until meat is tender, about ten minutes.
- Add cheese; stir until blended.
- Serve while hot.
This was ok. I don't usually cook with red meat, but the combination of ingredients in this recipe sounded interesting. Ultimately, it was a bit bland for me. Maybe marinating the steak in lime juice beforehand would help, but it's still a good recipe overall.