Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I made this tasty "meatloaf" for dinner tonight. It is from the Vegandad.blogspot.com site. DH said, "this is pretty good for being vegan." Next time, I will make more sauce, maybe even double it. I found that I did not have any "excess" sauce to spoon over my loaves. Also, I had a little less than 1/2 cup of brown sugar on hand, which was fine for our tastes, as I don't like things too sweet. I may even cut back to 1/4 cup next time. The recipe did not say to use prepared mustard so I used dried. The cayenne is to taste, but that part keeps disappearing. I grated the onion in my mini food processor as I was tired of using the box grater after the tempeh. I served with mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli.
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages tempeh, coarsely grated
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (or A1)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- water (if needed)
- generous 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 -4 tablespoons Bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Mix grated tempeh, onion, garlic, flour, and spices in a large bowl.
- Add in sauces and oil, and enough water (you may not need any at all) so you are able to mash everything up with your fingers. Knead/mush/mash for a few mins to mix everything well.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces and shape into small loaves. Place into oiled pan, and spray lightly with oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While loaves are baking, bring glaze ingredients to bubbling in a small saucepan. Let thicken a bit. Spoon over baking loaves. Bake loaves for 15 mins more, then scoop excess glaze back over the loaves. Bake for an additional 20-25 mins, or until glaze is thickened and darkened.