This recipe originally came from my Cajun great grandmother. She didn’t speak any English, but her cooking always received that universally understood "Mmmm!" I have modernized the recipe, by using purchased crab-boil and Cajun seasoning, instead of her multitude of mixed spices. (Prep. and cook times are a "guesstimate").
- Wash head of cauliflower.
- Place cauliflower in a large pot with enough water to cover.
- Add the bag of crab-boil, and the salt to the water.
- Bring to a boil; cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower becomes "fork tender".
- When cauliflower becomes tender, remove from heat and allow cauliflower to "soak" in the spice for about 3-5 minutes (the longer it soaks, the spicier it gets).
- Remove cauliflower from the water and drain.
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Place breadcrumbs in a large bowl and mix in the Cajun seasoning.
- Mix together the beaten eggs and the 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the cauliflower to 350°F.
- Coat each floret in the egg mixture, and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry until breadcrumbs turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces if desired.