Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are dirt easy to make and the both look and taste amazing. The only potentially fussy bit is using piping bags, which isn't essential to making a great taste - it's just an 'aesthetic' touch that gives them the cafe style look. This is taken from a great Donna Hay classic. You can play with the fillings a little too if you like.
- 175 g butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour, sifted
- 60 g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180degrees (350F).
- Place the butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and fluffly.
- Stir in the flour and cornflour until combined. The more evenly mixed the ingredients are, the meltier the biscuit so be sure to mix well!
- OPTIONAL:Place all the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
- Pipe 3cm (1inch) rounds onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Best to start piping by piping the circular outline of the biscuit and working your way in a circular clockwise motion towards the middle of the biscuit. NOTE:If you do not wish to use a piping bag, simply roll balls measuring approx 2 teaspoon full of mixture onto the lined trays. Flatten slightly. Be sure to leave room for spreading. This amount of batter makes approx 32 individual biscuits.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes until biscuits are just golden. They may still look a little soft in the middle but they set upon cooling.
- Cool on trays.
- To make the filling: Place the butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and rind in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until fluffly and creamy. Pipe (or apply with knife) onto half the biscuits and sandwich with the remaining buscuits. Variations on this filling can be done with ORANGE; Replace the lemon juice and lemon rind with the same quantity of orange juice and rind. This can also be done with LIME in the same manner. These also taste good with caramel filling!
Amazingly easy recipe which makes biscuits so good that you won't believe it worked out! Left my donna hay book at my sisters place, so thanks for posting this recipe.