Recipe by PanNan
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I won't have time to try it right away, but it looks wonderful. This kosher recipe is from The Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook - Traditional Recipes from Contemporary Kosher Kitchens - this particular one was contributed by Lori Newberg, Buffalo Hadassah in New York. To make this South Beach friendly, skip step 1, and start with 6 cups fat free chicken broth for step 2; use 4 cups roasted (or rotisserie) chicken or turkey breast for step 3.
- 4 lbs chicken
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover chicken with water in a large pot. Cook 1 hour and remove chicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare remaining ingredients, and add to pot after removing chicken, and cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place chicken in baking dish and roast it in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes. After roasting, let chicken cool for 10 minutes before removing meat from the carcass and adding the meat to the soup pot.
- Simmer until the meat is heated through, and serve.