Recipe by WaterMelon
Makes a wonderful frosting for cupcakes or a simple cake. Very easy to prepare. From Fine Cooking, originally suggested for caramel cupcakes. This recipe is enough to frost 12 cupcakes.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (6 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over med-low heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir constantly with wooden spoon.
- After 2-3mins, sugar will melt and mixture will become smooth, then begin to bubble (it's ok if it looks separated at this point).
- Once this happens, stir constantly for 2mins (less if sugar smells like it's burning).
- Carefully add cream and stir for another 2mins.
- Mixture will thicken slightly and look smooth and glossy.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for 5mins, stirring frequently.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla with wooden spoon.
- If frosting seems a bit dry, add more cream, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until thick, smooth and spreadable.