Recipe by fluffernutter
Another wonderful recipe from To Many Cooks by Nancy Wood Moorman (cookbookmarketplace.com). There's a cheese lattice topping instead of a crust topping so there's more protein and more flavor. Use a good quality cheese, like an aged Gouda.
- 1⁄4 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Filling and topping
- 1 cup cooked squash
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced gruyere or 4 ounces aged gouda cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust, process the pumpkin seeds in a food processor until ground to a meal. Add the flour and butter and process to the texture of a coarse meal. Add the water and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Flatten to a disk and sprinkle with flour. Roll to about 1/8-inch thickness and press into a tart pan. Prick with a fork and chill for 30 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Combine the squash with the cream, butter, egg, salt and pepper and mix well or process until smooth. Spoon into the cooled tart shell.
- Slice the cheese into strips and arrange them on the tart to form a lattice. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and cheese is melted.