Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
Delicious biscuits! You can change the flavor of these by using different herbs. Try them warm from the oven, split open and buttered. Very yummy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried herbs (such as rosemary, basil, thyme or Italian seasoning)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, herbs, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add in the buttermilk.
- Stir until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- The dough should be soft and sticky.
- Knead the dough 10 times on a floured surface.
- Roll the dough about 1" thick.
- Cut with a floured 2" cutter.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with butter.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
These biscuits were delicious. We enjoyed the flavourful biscuits right out of the oven, smeared with fresh butter. Yummy! They were quick and easy to make. Rose beautifully, had great texture, were fluffy and tender. I used ground Italian Seasonings. Thanks so much for sharing DG...I'll be making these again soon.
Really good biscuits. I used French herbes de Provence. These baked up high and light, with a nice, tender crumb. Perfect fresh out of the oven with butter. A real treat.