Recipe by mollypaul
Salsify is a white carrot-like root vegetable often called "poor-man's oyster". Posted in response to a recipe request.
- 1 lb salsify
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley or chives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Have a bowl of cold water ready to which a little lemon juice or vinegar has been added.
- Cut off the tops of the salsify root, peel with a vegetable scraper, and drop immediately into the cold acidulated water to prevent discoloration.
- Cut into 1/2-inch wide strips about 2 inches long.
- Drop them into large pot filled with boiling water and cook, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes; avoid overcooking as the flesh should not become mushy.
- Drain well; add butter, salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of parsley or chives and toss well before serving.