Recipe by Trixyinaz
I got this recipe from a cake site and can't stop making it. It is the best buttercream recipe that I have found. I modified my recipe to include Almond Extract, but you can use just about any extract. I've done clear vanilla and raspberry with rave reviews. I use this recipe for all my cakes and cupcakes. It colors nicely. If you want a stiffer buttercream for roses and such, omit or add very little milk. If you want a thinner buttercream, add more than 6 tbs of milk.
Top Review by Chef Sarita in Austin Texas
Loved this recipe! Made for a wedding cake, I did not use any of the milk and the consistency turned out perfect. It actually withstood 95 degree Texas weather! I also used 2 tspns butter extract and 1 tspn almond extract for a more buttery flavor. This will be my buttercream recipe from now on.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, salted
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons almond extract, clear
- 5 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring butter to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, whip butter and crisco together.
- Add the extract and whip.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add one tbs milk at a time until you get your desired stiffness.
- Whip for 5-10 minutes until fluffy.