Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook - years and years ago. It is the first cake I ever learned to make. I believe the first time I made it I was about 10 years old. I also taught my boys how to make this when they were 8 and 10. It's very easy. Tasty enough, but the frosting is what adds the most flavor. I use the store bought frosting on it. Very simple to make and like the title says - it's great for a dessert on a busy day!
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Put in a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees until done. (toothpick inserted comes out clean). Start checking at 20 minutes. I haven't made this in a while, so I'm not sure. If it looks done enough to check with the toothpick at 20 minutes, then by all means, check it. It may take up to 30 minutes to bake.
Try this cake with strawberries and milk. We always used this recipe as a strawberry shortcake. vey good , not to sweet, just right with berries !
CGM - I'm sorry but this cake is nice enough but I was really surprised by the texture. It reminded me immediately of cornbread except without the cornflour. It is not overly sweet which is nice but the texture is what really throws me on the recipe. I used butter instead of shortening (personal preference) and the batter is very thick. I frosted it with a basic cocoa frosting - you are correct in that the cake needs some frosting. It took 30 minutes to bake fully. Tagged in Photo Tag Game.