I purchased a little local cookbook the other day and this recipe was there. A dear friend of mine made the best Tamale Pie years and years ago. This recipe is so close that it could be the same.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheese (longhorn or colby is best)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sliced ripe olives
- First prepare the crust by sprinkling the cornmeal with a small amount of cold water.
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Stir the moistened cornmeal into boiling water; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and 3/4 cup of the grated cheese, stir to mix.
- Let mixture cool slightly and line a 3-quart casserole with 3/4 of the mixture, reserving the remaining cheese for the top.
- While the cornmeal mixture cools, prepare the filling by browning the beef in small amount of oil.
- Add the garlic and onion; cook until onions are translucent.
- Add celery, tomatoes, chile, corn, salt, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the olives, stir to mix and pour into prepared casserole.
- Top with spoonfuls of remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a good Tamale Pie! I use white cornmeal which I wisked into hot water then microwaved 5 minutes wisking half way through.Cuts the cooking time down by 25 minutes. To the filling mixture I added 1 jalapeno,1 tablespoon dried oregano,cumin,& fresh minced parsley. I added 1/2 tablespoon chipolte powder and cut the chili powder to 1/2 tablespoon. I used creamed corn thats what I had. I had only 1 pound of beef which I think was perfect! As you see this recipe is very fexible! This is a fun to make as well as fun to eat! Thanks Paula!! — Sorry I uploaded the pictures of preparing the pie the finale picture of the baked pie came out burry.Reply
see 3 more