Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe was submitted by Mrs. Skov for use in the Silver Anniversary Edition of the International Food Fair Cookbook. It has been posted for the Zaar World Tour 6. (note: yield is estimated as it depends on the size of the cookies that you cut.)
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening (half butter, half lard)
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Combine molasses, brown sugar and shortening in pan.
- Heat and cook 4 minutes then cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 1 cup of the flour and the remaining ingredients.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick or thinner.
- Cut chosen shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and place a sliver of almond in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 375 F for about 5 minutes.
- Watch closely so they don't burn.
- Mrs. Skov adds that these cookies will keep in a tight container "almost forever" -- at least 2 months.
Definately another cookie for the Christmas collection. Wonderfully crispy and spicey. Thanks for posting luvinlif2k. Made for ZWT 6.