Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Like many people we are eating healther and cutting out sugars, oils, and trying to use wheat alternatives. The recipe below is for our brownies without those things. As good as they taste, we wouldn't know they weren't the real sugary thing if we had not made them ourselves! Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8x8” pan.
- Whisk together applesauce, cocoa, and agave.
- Whisk egg whites into mixture one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla and salt until blended.
- Stir in spelt until the mixture is smooth but no longer than that.
- Blend in almonds if you desire.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and completely cool before cutting.
I didn't have enough agave so I used about half maple syrup... I also read previous reviews and added in about 1/4 cup (equivalent) of splenda... brownies WERE a bit chewy, but that is from using applesauce instead of oil... This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling too guilty.
We tried this tonight, and seeing it was fat free I added 2 tblspns of oil. Since it was for my kids, not me. I doubled the batch, and forgot to put in enough eggs. Even with whole not whites, and short on the eggs, they loved it. Warning, it is not out of the box. It tastes less sweet, and has a different texture. If you want greasy brownies,, you'll need more oil. But we thought it great!!
These turned out really rubbery for me, and it wasn't the spelt flour because I cook with that quite a bit. Too bad, the idea is excellent!