Recipe by Chocolatl
This is one of a number of historical recipes I am posting from my cookbook collection. This recipe is adapted from the Rumford Complete Cookbook. At the time this recipe was first published, ovens did not have heat regulators, so recipes specified only "hot," "moderate" or "slow/cool" temperatures. This is a recipe for a slow oven. I have estimated the temperature and baking time, as well as the number of servings. The original recipe did not call for beating the egg whites, but this is implied, as it is normally the first step in making macaroons.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form (the original recipe omitted this step).
- Slowly stir in the brown sugar.
- Add lemon juice.
- Gradually stir in almonds.
- Mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- NOTE: Baking time is ONLY an estimate.